We accept the following:
- Original unpublished pieces of work from anywhere in the world that have a connection to the cultures of the region and/or their worldwide diaspora or whose author wants to make a meaningful connection to them.
- Works previously published online that only require acknowledging previous publishers.
- Work in any genre except for erotica.
- Extracts from novels that are less than novella length.
- Short Creative Non-fiction.
- Jpeg or png files of pieces of visual art.
- Translations from original language to English.
We positively encourage the following:
- Work from local communities, groups and the peoples of East and South East Asia.
- Work that touches on the cultures of the region from anyone anywhere.
- Work by those outside the region who have a genuine interest in reaching readers in East and South East Asia and whose work has some connection or relevance to the region.
- Unusual, different or unique approaches, views or stories.
- Local second language writers.
The Process Submissions go Through:
If you would like to know more about the process your work will go through, the Eastlit journal article describes it.
Please Read the Following before Submitting:
Please note that when you submit a piece of work to us you guarantee that you are the owner of the copyright to that work. We do not ask for, want or require any transfer of copyright to us. When you submit a piece of work you are agreeing to give us a non-exclusive licence to publish the piece on the Eastlit online journal, and/or Eastlit’s connected electronic services such as but not limited to Eastlit Live and Eastlit E-magazine. By submitting a piece of work, you agree to these terms.
E-mail submissions to email@example.com. You can send your story or poetry as an attachment in text or Microsoft Word, or if necessary in the body of your e-mail. If you send it in the body of an e-mail, make sure the e-mail explains what you are sending! Please make sure you have included the title and the author’s name. Please make sure that you have sent it from an e-mail you can be contacted on. Alternatively submit through our contact page. If you do this, please write submission in the subject box. Submissions made in any other way will not be read. Submissions made in other formats will not be opened.
You may submit up to three fiction or non-fiction pieces or ten poems at one time, but only a single extract from a novel. You may submit up to twenty photos around a theme.
Please send a brief biography too if it is your first submission. Please update this for subsequent ones. This will be published in a writers section if we publish your work. If you do not want your biography published, please tell us when you make your submission.
If you are submitting a piece previously published online that only requires acknowledging previous publishers for republishing, please include details of the acknowledgement required and publisher. If a piece published on Eastlit is published elsewhere, it would be nice if you acknowledged us as first or previous publisher. This helps support our goal of encouraging new writers in the region.
Submitting from outside East and South East Asia? Explain how your piece connects to the region when you submit.
Please note: we will usually publish the content of your work as it is submitted. Eastlit chooses the fonts, font size, line spacing. Fiction and non-fiction is published in a format of our choice to fit the style of our journal. With poetry we will usually try to keep indents and spacing as in submissions. We do not do this for fiction and non-fiction. If you have a request to keep your original format, let us know when you submit. We try to be flexible. However, publishing each month restricts what we have time to do.
After submission you should receive an e-mail acknowledging receipt. If you have not received this within a week, assume we have not received your submission. Please feel free to submit again if this happens.
Please note that we do have an editorial policy. We do not publish every piece of work we receive. All submissions are checked by an editor to see if they meet the from or connected to East and South East Asia criteria. If they do, then they go to our editorial board to be read. The board will then decide on which pieces to publish.
Subscribe to our newsletter for updates on changes to these policies and other news.
If you have friends who may be interested, you can share using the buttons below.